- Choose type of program/speaker/booktalk/entertainment.
- Determine best format to present program content: series, single program, etc.
- Choose time and place, date, etc.
- Check with other departments/branches in your library so your program does not conflict.
- Reserve space for program.
- Put program on library’s calendar of events.
- Identify what equipment is needed for the program (video, computer, podium).
- If registration is required, determine method.
- Determine if there are costs/secure funding.
- Determine if there are space restrictions, be prepared.
- Research speakers and presenters; ask for recommendations from colleagues.
- Discuss program with presenters/determine expectations.
- Reconfirm time and date with presenters.
- Prepare introductions for speakers/presenters.
- Complete any contracts or agreements for funding.
- Connect with community partners.
- Involve community partners in program planning.
- Ask community partners to publicize program.
- Collect partners’ logos to use on publicity materials.
- Design promotional materials.
- If photo permissions will be required, consider including the request as part of registration.
- Involve staff; make sure they have information so they can promote program/provide specific information.
- Select channels of communication for promotions/media advisory/news release/web posting/Facebook.
- Create your program materials.
- Write media communications.
- Use LibraryAware for distribution to media outlets and social media.
- Decide if you will document the event/photos, recording, etc. (if photo permissions are required have forms available).
Day of the Event
- Arrange room.
- Contact media sources to confirm event.
- Refreshments (if necessary).
- Publicity flyer posted at site.
- Evaluation forms.
- Have photo releases, if necessary.
- Name tags or table tent cards for panel.
- Hosting -- identify someone to serve as host for the program.
- Record statistics.
After the Event
- Send thank you notes to presenters.
- Thank staff/volunteers. Celebrate your success!
- Thank community partners individually.
- Review evaluations -- then what?
- Share successes (post photos; Facebook posting; Public thank you for support/program re-cap via a letter to the editor)